Delight your dinner guests’ reverse searing a tomahawk ribeye steak on the grill! This grilling technique involves cooking the steak on the grill until it reaches the desired level of doneness and then searing it over high heat. The result is a juicy, flavorful steak that is sure to impress. Lets discuss best ideas how to reverse sear tomahawk ribeye steak on the grill.
What Is a Tomahawk Ribeye Steak?
A Tomahawk Ribeye Steak is a type of steak prepared by grilling it. This steak is cut from the cow’s rib section and has a bone attached to it. The Tomahawk Ribeye Steak is known for its rich flavor and tenderness. This steak is best cooked using the reverse sear method.
How to Reverse Sear Tomahawk Ribeye Steak on the Grill
For those unfamiliar with the term, “reverse sear” means to cook the steak indirectly on the grill until it’s about 10-15 degrees below your desired final temperature. Then, move it to direct heat to sear the outside and create that beautiful crust.
Reverse searing a tomahawk ribeye is one of the best ways to cook this cut of meat. Not only does it ensure that the steak is cooked evenly throughout, but it also allows you to get that perfect sear on the outside without overcooking the meat.
Best Way To Reverse Sear Tomahawk Ribeye Steak On the Grill
If you’re looking for a delicious way to cook a tomahawk ribeye, look no further than this reverse sear method. It’s easy to do and yields fantastic results!
1. Preheat your grill for indirect heat cooking. For a charcoal grill, this means lighting the coals on one side of the grill and leaving the other side empty and for a gas grill, turning on one side of the burners to high heat and leaving the other side off.
2. Season your tomahawk ribeye steak with salt, pepper, and other desired spices.
3. Place the steak on the cool side of the grill and cook it indirectly until it reaches an internal temperature of 110 degrees Fahrenheit. This will take about 30-45 minutes, depending on the thickness of the steak.
4. Once the steak has reached 110 degrees Fahrenheit, move it over to the hot side of the grill and sear it for 1-2 minutes per side.
5. Remove the tomahawk ribeye steak from the grill and let it rest for 5-10 minutes before cutting into it. Enjoy!
How to Store Tomahawk Ribeye Steaks
Tomahawk ribeye steaks are a type of steak cut from the rib primal of beef. The steak includes a long bone that runs through the center of the meat. Tomahawk ribeye steaks are usually well-marbled and have a lot of flavors.
When you buy tomahawk ribeye steaks, you will want to store them in the refrigerator. You can keep them in the original packaging or wrap them in plastic. Please ensure the steaks are not touching each other so they can air out properly.
You should use tomahawk ribeye steaks within three to five days of buying them. If you plan on storing them for longer, you can wrap them in plastic and then place them in the freezer. Tomahawk ribeye steaks can be stored in the freezer for up to six months.
When you are ready to cook your tomahawk ribeye steak, take it out of the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature. This will help the steak cook evenly. Preheat your grill to high heat.
Place the tomahawk ribeye steak on the grill and sear it for two to three minutes per side. Then, lower the heat and cook the steak for six to eight minutes per side, or until it reaches the desired level of doneness.
How to Serve Tomahawk Ribeye Steaks
Now that you’ve cooked the perfect tomahawk steak, it’s time to serve them up! I like to add a simple salad of arugula and greens with tomatoes, avocado, and feta cheese. You could also add baked potatoes or creamy mashed potatoes. Serve it with your favorite wine for a unique and romantic dinner at home!
Tips for the Best Reverse Sear Tomahawk Ribeye Steak
1. Choose the proper steak. A Tomahawk Ribeye is a thick, well-marbled steak that will stand up to the grill’s high heat.
2. Preheat your grill. Before you start cooking, you’ll want to preheat your grill to high heat.
3. Sear the steak. Place the steak on the grill and sear it for 2-3 minutes per side.
4. Reverse sear. Once the steak is seared, move it to indirect heat and close its lid. Allow the steak to cook until it reaches the desired internal temperature.
5. Rest and serve. Once the steak is cooked, remove it from the grill and allow it to rest for 5-10 minutes before cutting into it and serving.
Is Reverse Sear Better for A Tomahawk Steak?
Some people prefer the reverse sear method for tomahawk steaks as it allows for more even cooking and can result in a juicier steak. Others prefer the traditional method of searing the steak first, then cooking it to the desired doneness. Ultimately, it is up to the cook to decide which method they prefer.
What Is the Difference Between a Tomahawk and A Ribeye Steak?
A tomahawk steak is a bone-in ribeye steak that has been trimmed to include a long bone. This bone gives the steak its distinctive “tomahawk” shape. Ribeye steaks are cut from the rib area of the cow and are known for their rich flavor and tenderness.
Can You Cook a Tomahawk Steak in The Oven?
Yes, you can cook a tomahawk steak in the oven. First, sear the steak on all sides in a hot pan. Then, transfer it to a preheated oven and cook to the desired doneness.
What Is the Best Way to Cook a Tomahawk Steak?
The best way to cook a tomahawk steak is to reverse sear it. First, slowly cook the steak in the oven until it reaches the desired internal temperature. Then, sear it on all sides in a hot pan. This method results in a juicy and flavorful steak.
Do You Need a Special Pan to Cook a Tomahawk Steak?
No, you do not need a special pan to cook a tomahawk steak. Any heavy duty pan that can withstand high heat will work. I recommend using a cast iron skillet or a stainless steel pan.
What Is the Best Temperature to Cook a Tomahawk Steak?
The best temperature to cook a tomahawk steak is medium-rare, or 130 degrees Fahrenheit. This will result in a juicy and flavorful steak.
How Long Should You Rest a Tomahawk Steak?
Before cutting into it, you should rest a tomahawk steak for 5-10 minutes. This will allow the juices to redistribute and result in a juicier steak.
What Should You Serve with A Tomahawk Steak?
I like to serve a simple salad of arugula and greens with tomatoes, avocado, and feta cheese with my tomahawk steak. You could also add baked potatoes or creamy mashed potatoes. Serve it with your favorite wine for an excellent and romantic dinner at home!
Do You Need to Tenderize a Tomahawk Steak?
No, you do not need to tenderize a tomahawk steak. This cut of meat is naturally tender and does not require additional tenderizing.
You may also like to read “How To Reverse Sear A Tomahawk Steak In An Oven And Cast Iron Skillet“
With the reverse sear method, you can achieve a perfectly cooked tomahawk ribeye steak that is juicy and flavorful on the inside with a crispy, seared crust on the outside. This cooking method is easy to follow and results in a delicious steak every time. Give it a try the next time you’re grilling for an impressive and satisfying meal.
- The 9 Best BBQ Grills for Smoking Brisket - December 29, 2022
- 6 Mouth Watering Grilled Shrimp Recipes - September 16, 2022
- 6 Delicious Grilled Desserts - September 16, 2022