Grilling is a popular way to cook food, but there are some items you should never put on the grill! In this guide, I’ll share with you some of the top things you should never put on the grill. Stay safe and avoid potential injuries by following the tips!
What Are The Top Items That You Should Never Put On The Grill?
Most of us love to grill, but there are certain items that you should never put on the grill. These items can be dangerous and cause injuries. Here is a list of the top things you should never put on the grill:
1. Filet Mignon
In order to avoid ruining your perfectly good filet mignon, don’t put it on the grill! The direct heat will cause the meat to toughen and dry out. It’s better to cook filet mignon in the oven or on the stove.
2. Delicate Fish
Fish like tilapia, flounder, and sole are delicate and will easily fall apart on the grill. If you must grill fish, opt for a sturdier variety like salmon or tuna. While you’re at this, be sure to use a fish basket to prevent the fish from sticking to the grill and falling apart. You will also love this post on the ultimate guide to grilling fish and seafood!
Vegetables are delicate and will cook quickly on the grill. You don’t want to risk burning them or having them come out undercooked.
In addition, some vegetables like zucchini and eggplant can fall through the grill grates. If you want to grill vegetables, it’s best to skewer them first.
Cheese is another item that can easily be ruined by the grill. The heat will affect the cheese to melt and run, making it difficult to eat. Many people choose to grill cheese on foil, but this can still be risky. It’s better to enjoy cheese in its un-grilled form.
Eggs are the worst food that should not be put on the grill. When placed over direct heat, the egg will explode and make a mess.
Bread will quickly burn on the grill, so it’s best to avoid putting it on. In some cases, people will put bread on the grill to toast it. However, this is still risky, and you’re better off toasting the bread in the oven or on the stove.
Fruit is delicate and will cook quickly on the grill. You don’t want to risk burning it. For the most part, it’s best to avoid grilling fruit. However, you can read this post on how to make amazing grilled fruit kabobs too.
Pancakes are difficult to flip on the grill and are likely to stick. It’s best to cook them in a pan on the stovetop. If you must grill pancakes, use a pancake griddle or cook them on foil.
Glassware can easily break when placed on the grill, so it’s best to avoid putting it on. Use plastic or metal cups instead. The saying goes, “better safe than sorry.”
10. Fuel Containers
Fuel containers should never be placed on the grill, as they can explode and cause injuries. Keep the it away from flammable objects like trees, buildings, and other grills.
What To Do If Something Goes Wrong While Grilling?
If something goes wrong while grilling, it’s important to stay calm and take action. Now, I’m not saying that you should start throwing things or screaming.
But, you do need to take some quick and decisive action in order to avoid further problems. Here are some advices on what to do if something goes wrong while grilling:
1. If the grill catches on fire, don’t panic. Instantly close the lid and turn off the gas. If the fire doesn’t go out, call the fire department. You can also try using a fire extinguisher, but make sure that you’re not standing too close to the fire.
2. If food is sticking to the grill, don’t try to force it off. This will only make things worse. Instead, let the food cook for a few more minutes before trying to remove it. It is wise to oil the grill before cooking to prevent sticking.
3. If you drop something on the ground, don’t put it back on the grill. This could contaminate the food and make people sick. Moreover, it’s just gross.
4. If the grill starts to smoke, open the lid and check to see what’s causing it. It could be that food is burning or that there’s a build-up of grease and debris. When the cause is determined, take proper action to rectify the problem.
5. If the grill is not cooking evenly, move the food around so that it’s closer to the heat source. You can also adjust the temperature if necessary.
6. If the grill is too hot, don’t add more food. This will only make things worse. Instead, move the food to a cooler part of the grill or turn down the heat. For the latter, it’s best to use the gas knob rather than the control knob.
7. If you run out of propane, don’t try to light the grill with another type of fuel. This could be dangerous. Instead, wait for the propane to be refilled or replaced. In some cases, you may be able to find a propane tank exchange.
8. If it starts raining while you’re grilling, don’t keep cooking. This could be dangerous and cause problems with the food. Instead, move the food indoors and finish cooking it there. All grills should have a cover to protect them from the elements.
9. If the power goes out, don’t try to grill in the dark. This could be dangerous. Instead, wait for the power to come back on or finish cooking the food indoors. With gas grills, you may be able to light the grill with a match.
10. If something doesn’t seem right, trust your gut and stop grilling. Taking a few extra minutes to figure out what’s wrong is better than risking injury or making people sick. If you are still not sure what to do, seek help from a professional.
Grilling can be a great way to enjoy food with family and friends. But, as with anything, there is always the potential for things to go wrong. By following these tips, you can help ensure that your grilling experience is a safe and enjoyable one.
What Are The Best Tools And Accessories For Grilling?
If you’re serious about grilling, then you need to have the right tools and accessories. So, here are a few must-haves for any grill master:
1. A Good Grill Brush.
It is essential for keeping your grill clean. Look for one with a long handle and stiff bristles. If you have a stainless steel grill, be sure to get a brush that’s specifically designed for it.
2. A Set Of Tongs.
Tongs are necessary for flipping and removing food from the grill. Get a good-quality pair that is comfortable to use. To make things easier, get a pair that is heat-resistant and has a built-in thermometer.
3. A Spatula.
A spatula is useful for flipping burgers and other small items. It can also be used to release food from the grill. For a spatula that can do it all, look for one with a built-in bottle opener and spatula head.
4. A Set Of Skewers.
Skewers are great for grilling kebabs, vegetables, and other small items. Get a good quality set that is metal or bamboo. Some sets even come with a stand for easy grilling.
5. A Meat Thermometer.
A meat thermometer is essential for cooking meat safely. Ensure that the food is cooked to the correct temperature and prevents undercooked or overcooked meat. All grills should have a built-in meat thermometer.
6. A Grill Cover.
A grill cover saves your grill from the elements and keeps it clean when not in use. Besides, it also prolongs the life of your grill. Be sure to get a cover that is made from durable material and fits your grill snugly.
7. A Set Of Grill Lights.
Grill lights are useful for grilling in the evening or at night. They help you see what you’re cooking and prevent burnt food. You can find lights that attach to the grill or ones that stand on their own.
8. An Apron.
An apron protects your clothes from splatters and spills. It also looks great and shows that you’re serious about grilling. Having an apron also comes in handy when you’re cooking indoors. It’s the perfect way to keep your clothes clean while still looking stylish.
9. A Set Of Plates And Utensils.
You’ll need plates and utensils for serving the food. Get a good quality set that is durable and dishwasher safe. Many sets come with a serving tray for easy transport.
10. A Cooler.
A cooler is essential for keeping beverages cold and transporting food to and from the grill. Get one with wheels for ease of use. While you’re at it, get a few ice packs to keep things extra cold.
These are a few of the must-have accessories every griller needs. With these items, you’ll be able to grill like a pro in no time.
Before you start cooking up your favorite recipes, be sure to avoid these common grilling mistakes. By following these easy tips, you can confirm that your meals come out perfectly every time. And if you require a little help getting started, be sure to check out GrillCharms for all of your grilling needs.
It has everything from accessories and tools to recipes and guides, so you can make the most of your backyard barbecue this summer. Thanks for reading, and happy grilling!