They’re the perfect food for a party or a casual night in with friends. But if you’ve ever tried to grill them yourself, you know that they can be a little tricky.
The skin often burns before the meat is cooked through, and it can be hard to get them evenly crispy all over.
Thankfully, I have some awesome tips on how to grill the chicken wings perfectly every time. Keep reading to learn more!
How To Choose The Best Chicken Wings For Grilling!
Before I get into how to grill chicken wings, let’s talk about how to choose the best chicken wings for grilling.
1. Look for chicken wings that are plump and fleshy. You want there to be a good amount of meat on the bone so that they don’t dry out while cooking.
2. Avoid chicken wings that have a lot of fat on them. The fat will break down while you cook the wings and can make them fat.
3. Chicken wings with the skin still attached are best for grilling. The skin helps protect the meat against dryness and keeps the juices in.
Now that you know how to choose the best chicken wings for grilling let’s move on to how to grill them!
Marinades And Rubs For Grilled Chicken Wings!
One of the keys to making delicious grilled chicken wings is to use a marinade or rub. This helps to flavor the meat and also keeps it moist while cooking.
There are endless possibilities when it comes to marinades and rubs, so feel free to get creative! Here are a few of the favorites:
1. Asian-Style Marinade: This marinade is perfect for chicken wings that you want to have a little bit of sweetness to them. To make it, simply combine soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar, and sesame oil.
2. Buffalo-Style Rub: This rub is perfect for chicken wings that you want to have a little bit of heat to them. To make it, simply combine cayenne pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and salt.
3. Lemon And Herb Marinade: This marinade is perfect for chicken wings that you want to have a refreshing flavor. To make it, simply combine lemon juice, olive oil, thyme, and rosemary.
Once you’ve chosen your desired flavors, simply coat the chicken wings in the marinade or rub, and that they stay a minimum of 30 minutes before grilling.
Grilling Tips For Chicken Wings!
Now that your chicken wings are marinated and ready to go, it’s time to fire up the grill! Here are some tips to grill your perfect chicken wing:
1. Preheat Your Grill To Medium-High Heat.
You want the grill to be hot so that the chicken wings cook through without burning. When the grill is ready, put the chicken wings on the grates.
You can cook them directly on the grates or use a grill basket if you’re worried about them falling through.
2. Oil The Grates Of Your Grill.
This will help to prevent the chicken wings from sticking. Also, be sure to oil your grill brush so that you can easily clean the grates after cooking. On that note, it’s always a good idea to clean your grill grates before cooking.
3. Grill The Chicken Wings For 5-7 Minutes Per Side.
You’ll know that they’re done when the meat is cooked through, and the skin is crispy. Also, be sure to rotate the chicken wings a few times during cooking so that they evenly.
4. Use Tongs To Turn The Chicken Wings.
Do not use a fork, as this will puncture the skin and cause the juices to escape. In addition, be sure to wear gloves or use tongs to handle the chicken wings. The skin will be hot, and you don’t want to burn yourself.
5. Keep An Eye On The Heat Of Your Grill.
If it gets too hot, the chicken wings will cook too quickly on the outside while remaining raw in the middle. If it’s not hot enough, they’ll take forever to cook through and will likely burn before they’re done.
6. If Using A Gas Grill, Keep The Lid Open While Cooking.
This allows the heat to circulate and helps to prevent flare-ups. For charcoal grills, you can leave the lid open or closed, depending on how hot you want the fire to be.
7. If Using A Charcoal Grill, Make Sure The Coals Are Evenly Distributed.
You don’t want any hot spots on your grill, as this will cause the chicken wings to burn. You should also ensure that the coals are not too close to the gates, as this will cause them to flare up.
8. Avoid Moving The Chicken Wings Around Too Much While They’re Cooking.
You prefer them to build a nice char, and moving them around will only prevent that from happening. Having said that, you do need to rotate them a few times during cooking so that they cook evenly on all sides.
9. Have A Clean Plate Ready To Transfer The Chicken Wings To Once They’re Done Cooking.
You don’t want to put them back on the same plate that you used to transport them to the grill, as this will contaminate them.
10. Let The Chicken Wings Rest For A Few Minutes Before Serving.
Let the chicken wings rest. It will allow the juices to re-distribute, making them even more delicious! You can serve them whole or cut them into pieces, whichever you prefer. Enjoy!
Serving Suggestions For Grilled Chicken Wings!
Serving grilled chicken wings is easy – simply place them on a platter and enjoy! But there are a couple of things follow to make them even more delicious.
1. Serve Them With A Dipping Sauce.
There are a number of options regarding sauces, so feel free to get creative! Some favorites include BBQ sauce, ranch dressing, and blue cheese dressing.
2. Garnish With Fresh Herbs.
This is an excellent way to add some extra flavor to your chicken wings. Some favorite herbs to use include rosemary, thyme, and parsley.
3. Serve With A Side Of Vegetables.
Grilled chicken wings tend to be mouthwatering on their own, but they’re even better when served with a side of veggies. Some favorite sides include grilled corn on the cob and roasted potatoes.
4. Give Them A Final Dusting Of Dry Rub Or BBQ Sauce Before Serving.
If you want to really take your chicken wings to the next level, give them a final dusting of dry rub or BBQ sauce before serving. This will add even more flavor and make them even more irresistible!
Variations On Grilled Chicken Wings!
All of the above methods will result in delicious grilled chicken wings, but feel free to get innovative and experiment with different taste combinations. Some variations include:
- Garlic Parmesan: Season the chicken wings with garlic powder, Parmesan cheese, and Italian herbs.
- Buffalo: Season the chicken wings with a Buffalo sauce of your choice.
- Honey Sriracha: Season the chicken wings with honey, Sriracha sauce, and sesame seeds.
Leftover Ideas For Grilled Chicken Wings!
If you discover yourself with some leftover grilled chicken wings, there are plenty of ways to use them up. Here are a few awesome ideas:
1. Chop Them And Add To A Salad.
This is a great way to turn your leftover chicken wings into a healthy and satisfying meal.
2. Add Them To A Wrap Or Sandwich.
Chicken wings make a great addition to any wrap or sandwich. They’re especially delicious when paired with ranch dressing or blue cheese dressing.
3. Use Them As Topping For A Pizza.
Pizza and chicken wings are a match made in heaven! Simply chop up your leftover chicken wings and sprinkle them on top of your favorite pizza recipe.
4. Make Chicken Wing Soup.
You can easily turn your leftover chicken wings into a delicious and hearty soup. Simply simmer them in a pot of chicken broth with some vegetables, and you’re good to go!
5. Serve Them Over Rice.
It is an easy and speedy way to turn your leftover chicken wings into a complete meal. Serve them over rice, and you’re all set!
Grilling chicken wings is not as difficult as it may seem. With a few tips, you can have perfectly grilled chicken wings every time. GrillCharms.com is here to help make your grilling experience easier and more enjoyable.
Visit the website for all of your grilling needs, from tools and accessories to recipes and tips. And check out the informative blogs for more great grilling ideas. Thanks for reading, and happy grilling!