Eye of round roast is a dish that simply doesn’t get enough attention. For those who have tried it, you will know just how good this meal is and how fulfilling it can be to our taste buds.
Ensuring that your smoked roast beef is cooked to perfection is always essential and will leave our bellies full with our tongues dancing in flavor.
We’ve made a guide for you so that you can understand the dish a bit better and find out if it’s something you’d like to try.
At the end of the day, all of our tastes are different, with different preferences for all food lovers around the globe.
What Is Eye Of Round Roast?
The eye of round roast is a cut from the lower part of the cow’s rib cage which consists of both meat and bone.
It is typically used as stew or pot roasts but also has been known to be served roasted on its own with sides of potatoes and other forms of vegetables.
The eye of round roast has a lot of fat and connective tissue surrounding the muscle. This means that when cooking it, we need to ensure it is thoroughly cooked before serving or it can be too chewy.
The eye of round roast is often referred to as ‘round steak’ by many people. However, this term refers to an entirely different cut of beef. It is more similar to a top loin or ribeye steak than it is to the eye of round roast.
What Should I Do With An Eye Of Round Roast?
There are two main ways to cook an eye of round roast. They include searing and grilling and are both very effective ways of cooking your meat thoroughly.
If you want to grill your roast then make sure you allow plenty of time to do so. Remember, the more time and effort you put into your meal, the tastier it will be.
You should wait until the internal temperature reaches around 130°F (55°C) to ensure that the outside is not burnt. Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperatures with ease!
If you prefer to sear your roast, first season it well with salt and pepper to make the flavors explode in your mouth. Then place it onto a hot pan and let it sit there for about 5 minutes.
Once the pan has cooled down slightly, flip it over and use high heat to sear it for another 3-4 minutes. This will be a good foundation for a great meal!
Tips For Cooking A Eye Of Round Roast
When cooking a piece of meat such as the eye of round roast, it is important to remember the following tips before cooking. This will help you to understand the dish before attempting to make it your own!
- Ensure that the surface of the meat is dry before putting it into the oven. If it isn’t then you risk having soggy meat with a poor texture. Make sure that you pat it dry with kitchen paper before placing it into the oven to avoid this problem. Then throw the kitchen paper away into the trash.
- Always keep an eye on the meat while it is cooking to have maximum control over your food. Make sure that the juices run clear and no blood appears. When the juices start to look darker or red, remove them from the oven immediately as it is almost cooked. Everyone loves a juicy cut of beef!
- Allow your meat to rest after cooking. Resting allows any excess liquid inside the meat to evaporate away, leaving behind a juicier and much tastier end product. Allow at least 20 minutes for the meat to cool completely before slicing or you might run the risk of injuring yourself.
How To Serve An Eye Of Round Roasted Beef
It’s always best to serve an eye of round roast with some side dishes. While the roast is resting, prepare your favorite mashed potato recipe to accompany the juiciness of the meat with the softness of the potatoes.
Also, if you’re planning on making gravy, using beef stock or some of the juices from your cut of meat is a great start.
Once the roast has rested, slice it up and add it to your plate along with the mashed potatoes and a few bits of fresh salad.
Overall, you can make this dish quite healthy if you put your mind to it and ensure that you include the right features that suit your diet best.
You could also try adding some sliced mushrooms or peas to your dish. These are perfect additions to any type of meat and will add that extra bit of flavor that your meal might have been lacking.
Trimming The Beef Roast
Now you know how to cook an eye of round roast, but what if you don’t want to spend all day cooking? Well, there are many different ways that you can trim the roast quickly and easily.
Most supermarkets sell the pieces of meat already trimmed which makes life much easier when preparing them and will ensure you don’t spend too much time trimming your meat.
The easiest way to trim the roasts is to buy one ready to go. Sometimes they come pre-trimmed so just pop it in the microwave and heat it through.
Alternatively, you can simply ask your butcher to trim it for you. They usually offer quick service and charge a small amount for their services.
However, if you still need to learn how to trim the roast, here is a simple guide:
1) Begin by cutting off the outer layer of fat. It’s the first thing that comes out during cooking and needs to be removed. You’ll find this layer located around the sides of the roast, above the rib bones, and beneath the skin. They’re not too hard to spot.
2) Remove the large flap of meat that runs across the front of the roast. It should sit flush against the top edge of the bone.
3) Cut away any remaining fat that may remain on the bottom of the roast to ensure that none is missed.
4) Remove any stray pieces of sinew and connective tissue that may remain and might be a chewy factor to your food.
5) Once again, you’ll find these remnants lying between the ribs and under the skin of the roast. They are easy to get rid of once you know where to look.
How To Smoke Smoked Roast Beef
If you’re looking to smoke your roast then you’ve got everything you need to do this. Simply follow the general guidelines below for smoking any other piece of meat and you’ll achieve fantastic results.
1) Make sure that your smoker is set up correctly with good ventilation and airflow. If you don’t have access to a chimney, make sure that you use a lid over the top as well. This ensures that your smoke doesn’t escape into the room and cause damage to the equipment. If your smoker is outside then you don’t have to worry about this too much.
2) Start slowly increasing the temperature in the oven until it reaches 200 degrees Celsius (400 Fahrenheit). This process takes approximately 30 minutes and will be worth the wait in the end.
3) At this point, remove the roast from the oven and lower the temperature back down to 100 degrees Celsius (200 Fahrenheit).
4) Place the beef back into the cooking appliance and cook at this temperature for four hours or until you think the beef is cooked to perfection.
5) An optional step – after three hours of cooking, turn off the oven and leave the roast inside overnight. This allows the meat to dry out slightly before removing it. This isn’t vital but can add another layer of flavor if you have the time.
6) When you’re ready to serve, place the roast onto a chopping board and slice it thinly. Your beef should be tender and succulent, slicing easily for you before serving.
7) Serve with your favorite accompaniments such as gravy, mashed potatoes, and vegetables. Roast potatoes also work very well with this cut of beef and will provide you with a fully roasted dish.
8 ) Now you have your smoked roast, you can enjoy eating it anytime!
How To Store Leftover Smoked Roast Beef
A lot of people will struggle to finish all of their food, so it’s always good to know how to store your leftover roast beef and how long it will stay before it goes bad. Here’s what you need to know:
- Refrigerate immediately after wrapping in some sort of aluminum foil or plastic wrapping.
- Keep refrigerated for no longer than three days.
- Freeze for longer periods of time.
- Be sure to wrap leftovers tightly and seal them using an aluminum foil or freezer bag.
- When refrigerating, always make sure that the cooked meat doesn’t come into any contact with raw meat to avoid cross-contamination. Failure to do this could make you very sick and leave you with a trip to the doctors
In conclusion, we hope that this guide all about smoked roast beef and the eye of round roast will help you to decide whether this recipe is worth your time.
There are lots of different flavors involved and the dish itself is very versatile. With lots of different features involved,
such as fresh vegetables and mashed potatoes, you can make this recipe your own and add your own signature to the dish by including different foods.
Make sure you cook the meat to perfection and ensure that the food is properly stored if you intend on eating it at a later date.
Because of the risks of cross-contamination, you need to make sure you store your beef separately from any raw meats when refrigerating.
If you can master your smoker and do all of this, then you’re bound to have a great eating experience.